4D Technology, a wholly owned subsidiary of Onto Innovation Inc., has installed and commissioned a 4Di InSpec AT automated inspection system at a leading aerospace engine manufacturer’s engineering facility. The system will be transferred to full production in the next quarter.
“We developed the 4Di InSpec AT in conjunction with leading aerospace and aviation engine manufacturers, to dramatically improve the measurement process,” said Erik Novak, general manager of 4D Technology. “By improving measurement accuracy, the system greatly reduces rework and scrap due to rejection of actual good parts. Additionally, it improves inspection throughput by several orders of magnitude, saving critical labor and providing rapid production feedback to improve part quality.”
Aircraft and aerospace engine components may have dozens of critical specifications for chamfers and rounding, for performance and lifetime optimization. These numerous features are time-consuming to measure manually. Difficult-to-access areas must be replicated in order to measure, which further increases cycle time.
The 4Di InSpec AT system combines the industry-leading 4D InSpec surface gauge with a collaborative robot for non-contact measurement of edge break, chamfer, and round-off, and surface defects such as pits, scratches, and dents on aerospace parts. With measurements that take seconds, versus many minutes or hours by manual methods, the automated system substantially increases measurement throughput and labor utilization. The ability to measure features in difficult locations further improves inspection quality.
“The 4D InSpec surface gage has been widely adopted for aviation and aerospace manufacturing and MRO (rework/repair),” said Novak. “That leading manufacturers are now automating this technology into inline production underscores its high value to the industry.”
Highlights of the 4Di InSpec AT include:
- Measure dozens of edge break features, chamfers, radii, and defects in minutes rather than days
- Non-contact, 3D measurement with micrometer-level resolution
- Patented vibration-immune technology enables measurement on the shop floor
- Purpose-built software flags out-of-spec measurements and automatically remeasures the locations
- Integration with Fanuc CRX 5iA or CRX10iA/L collaborative robots
- Ability to measure internal as well as external shaft features via fold mirrors and compact probe design.
- Optional rotary table for improved throughput
- Numerous safety features including a fully enclosed cell.