Astronics Corporation announced the release of a new in-seat power retrofit solution for airlines. Attaching quickly and directly to installed seat tubes, the EmPower Xpress on-seat USB outlet housing solution delivers instant USB charging options for aircraft in a simple overnight maintenance turn.
Offered by Astronics AES, a wholly owned subsidiary of Astronics Corporation, the EmPower Xpress expands the EmPower in-seat power product line’s retrofit offerings. EmPower in-seat power products are the most widely implemented in-seat power solution, currently flying on more than 280 airlines worldwide.
“Airlines have several factors to consider when retrofitting an aircraft with in-seat power, including providing a uniform passenger experience, compatibility with existing linefit options, efficient spares provisioning, common maintenance requirements, and personnel training,” explains Aaron Clarke, vice president of Cabin Electronics for Astronics AES. “For these reasons, purchasing retrofit power from a linefit offerable vendor reduces the total cost of ownership over time. With EmPower Xpress, we’ve made it faster and easier for airlines to execute a coordinated in-seat power solution strategy for providing the inflight charging services that today’s passengers expect on every flight.”
The EmPower Xpress offers a combination of flexibility and high power delivery, and attaches to the seat without affecting the seat structure or requiring seat service bulletins.
Additional key features include:
- Option to fit either an Astronics EmPower dual USB or single USB outlet unit. Photo shows a USB Type-A and USB Type-C configuration.
- Lightweight: weight increase to seat assembly <3 percent
- Standard black, grey, or cream powder coated finishes available, with custom coloring also available
- Meets load, flammability and weight requirements while minimizing tripping hazards
- Size: 6.29”H x 2.02”W x 4.87”D, 0.650 lbs MAX, 0.594 lbs nominal